Author Topic: Walkthrough  (Read 18908 times)

Walkthrough
« on: February 15, 2016, 09:34:08 PM »
Hello everyone,

I would like to know the minimum required elements to get a level running inside the game via TATDMM, also if possible a short walkthrough. I'm thinking something by this, just by guessing:

I would supose that the minimum elements should be a BSP for the floor (do I need to configure collition or something?), a PlayerStart (do I have to apply some tweaks or config?) and a light to actually see the scene.

After the map is saved and the "Build All" button applied, I guess I should follow the instructions on using TATDMM (creating .txt file and placing it in the correct folder, along with the .umap on its correct folder too (for my .txt file I'm copy/pasting the example from the instructions and replacing wherever 'TA_Test' appears for a "MY_MAP".

Apart from this short guide, is some additional configuration needed? Am I missing something? I'm trying to run a very simple map but can't get it done. Appreciate the help, thanks!

CFFT

DarkSynopsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Ninja's Fate
Re: Walkthrough
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 10:24:41 PM »
Reinstalling the Editor now, hopefully let you know how to get a basic map running soon :)

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 10:38:32 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D I'm REALLY GLAD to read this Let's revive TAKEDOWN!
CFFT

DarkSynopsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Ninja's Fate
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 11:54:19 PM »
Ok... List of what I did to get a simple map going.

1. Opened up Takedown Editor and hit New Level and chose a template "Morning Lighting" in this case.
2. Deleted the Base Floor and Cube since they are a Static Mesh and and created a BSP one and threw a texture from Takedown on it.
3. Deleted Default PlayerStart and added TDPlayerStart opening up the properties of this (Double Click Entity) you will want to set Insertion Tag to "InsertionA" for Top Option in Game or "InsertionB"
4. In Kismet Add a "Level Loaded" and connect "Loaded and Visible" to a Start Match.

5. Build All.
6. Save Current Level.
7. Copy .umap file to "steamapps\common\Takedown Red Sabre Early Access\TakedownGame\CookedPC\Maps"
8. Bring up the console in Takedown and type "open mapname" so in my case "open TA_Test"
9. Should now be running around.

Skybox will be missing since Takedown doesn't have the default UE3 ones it seems, unsure why my floor texture isn't working but thought I would try get this posted up for the time being since you can at least run around on BSPs.

http://tacticalape.ninjasfate.com/downloads/takedown/maps/wip/TA_Test.umap

Link to the map file, nothing special, either use it to quickly test running around within Takedown or open it up in the Editor, I believe the Kismet functions are the key to letting you run around in-game.

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 09:14:55 AM »
Wow! Thanks for the quick reply DarkSynopsis!! I'm looking forward on trying your guide, I think is clear enough even to a novice modder, so great tutorial. As soon as I'm out of job (aprox. in 3 hours) I'll give it a try and give you my comments!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 09:48:53 AM by carlosflorez87 »
CFFT

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 02:01:42 PM »
Finally! I'm at home with the rest of the day free for modding. Time to create my first TAKEDOWN level and run it correctly with your guide!. Here are my comments:

The first bump I ran into was adding a TDPlayerStart. Since I'm no UDK or UE expert, It took me like 5 minutes getting this task done, but figured it out anyway. Maybe we could add something like this to make point 3 a little more clear: (since the aiming is to achieve a very easy-to-follow tutorial, what do you think? woudn't be too much detail? The aiming is to be detailing in thing specifically of the TD level editor, not UDK)

...To add a TDPlayerStart* , open up the 'Content Browser*' and clic on the second tab 'Actor  Classes' and go to Actor > NavigationPoint > Player Start > TDPlayerStart or in the search field type 'TDPlayerStart' and Clic & Drag to the viewport area where you want the player to start...

Continuing with the lesson, the second bump was actually at point 4. Adding the "Level Loaded" and "Start Match", again regarding the scope of maintining this as newbie friendly I will suggest adding:

...4. Open Kismet* and Add a "Level Loaded (Right-Clic > New Event > Event Loaded) and Add a 'Start Match' item (Right-Clic > New Action > Takedown > Start Match...

Next and last bump was in point 5. after clicking the 'Build All' button, the following screenshot appeared:

Do I have to worry about these warnings? can we create like an insight about what these error means? (Maybe if we want broaden the scope of the project and create a fully detailed documentation regarding TAKEDOWN modding  ;))

The rest of the points where just crystal clear. I think this could be the most detailed guide on the internet to actually run a custom map on TAKEDOWN! :) Nice work!

Ok, after finishing all the steps. The first attempt was to try and run it in the editor and clicked on the 'Play Button' and this message appeared:

What could this message mean? Could be the reason for the sky not showing on the game?

After ignoring this message, clic on Yes and I was fully able to test my first map!!!! Now the final try on the game!!

As I was expecting everything is working perfectly despite the shown errors. I think this kinda concludes our basic walkthrough. We learned that there's no need to place textures or even a sky to get our level running. At least with these procedure we can start blocking out our levels (wich I believe is a huge step in reviving TAKEDOWN modding, or if not reviving at least provide a solution for people who's still interested on exploring this game) to move forward as we keep tackling the future problems we may (and will!!) encounter.

Thanks for your time, help and support DarkSynopsis I will keep digging with the Editor and hopefully post some blocked out ideas I have. I'm loving TACTICALAPE's forum, very kind, human, and certainly engaging!  :D :D
CFFT

DarkSynopsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Ninja's Fate
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 03:14:46 PM »
Sorry for some of the vague steps, I've not used the editor in awhile and was trying to get something up while I had time so just opened up a old map I had working to see what I had done.

Hell I copied the Kismet stuff from one map to other :P

I'm unsure about all the warnings, my test map only said something about not using production lighting but after opening up my old Tower Defense test one to check a texture problem it had similar warnings, I think it might just be some files missing from the editor but won't matter when run in the retail build.

Don't use Play in Editor myself, I thought it always crashed? I boot up the Retail game and use the console to open the map.

I think I know why textures didn't show, its due to not "Cooking" the map so its not a simple copy/paste of the editor .umap, trying to work out how to cook a map again...

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 04:00:47 PM »
Hi DarkSynopsis, no, your steps were not vague! clear enough, just tried to complement them in case somebody finds the same bumps but couldn't figure them out (although is not a very complicated thing to do) Just an excercise to keep everything documented for further research :) .

Great info on Cooking Maps, I would make some research too on YouTube so we stay on the same tune. By the way I'm having some trouble viewing even Editor's assets in the game, like custom assets, they're fine on the editor but not showing in the retail buid; maybe is due to "Cooking" too?.  I'm thinking on a new walkthrough if you will? :) [Walkthrough II - Placing Editor's Assets]

« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 09:21:01 PM by carlosflorez87 »
CFFT

DarkSynopsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Ninja's Fate
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 04:17:56 PM »
Editor Assets should also work once Cooking, still looking into it now, I was running into a problem with the game trying to load a texture cache that wasn't there.

Going through some old emails and some old topics on the Serellan forums I believe I found the fix that I used in the past :P

Cooking now but taking its time since it wants to cook every package the editor has.

DarkSynopsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Ninja's Fate
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 04:47:41 PM »
Took awhile but I believe I've worked out the cooking process again :) textures and meshes working.

1. Once you have built your Map/Saved make sure its in "steamapps\common\Takedown Red Sabre Level Editor\TakedownGame\Content\Maps"
2. Head to "steamapps\common\Takedown Red Sabre Level Editor\Engine\Config" and open up BaseEngine.ini
3. Search for "UseTextureFileCache" and change TRUE to FALSE so it will be "UseTextureFileCache=FALSE"
4. Head to "steamapps\common\Takedown Red Sabre Level Editor\Binaries" and run UnrealFrontend.exe
5. Once in UFE you want to hit the Config Profile button.

6. You want the following settings. TakedownGame, PC, Release_64, ReleaseScript, Release_64 and tick Cook DLC Profile.

7. Under Cooker Options add "-usermode -mapsonly"

8. Set a DLC Name (unsure where this is used) under "Maps to Cook" hit Add and Pick Map.
9. Click "Cook" along the top bar and hit Cook Pacakges.
10. One that is all done the Cooked version of the map should be found in "steamapps\common\Takedown Red Sabre Level Editor\TakedownGame\CookedPC\Maps"
11. Copy .umap file to "steamapps\common\Takedown Red Sabre Early Access\TakedownGame\CookedPC\Maps"
12. Bring up the console in Takedown and type "open mapname" so in my case "open TA_Test"
13. Should now be running around.

Once you have cooked once you shouldn't need to repeat many of these steps, just adding the map into UFE and cooking, profile settings will save as will the .ini file edit and such.

Unsure if the default UE3 Skybox works now, I ended up changing to the one from HQ since I thought that might have been causing a crash at one point, it wasn't.

Updated the TA_Test.umap from the previous post to what is seen in the above screenshot, can use it to test cooking if you have problems since it should be working.

Finally a link to a cooked version if just want to try running it in-game.

http://tacticalape.ninjasfate.com/downloads/takedown/maps/wip/TA_Test_Cooked.umap
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 04:59:32 PM by DarkSynopsis »

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 08:06:43 PM »
:O :O :O WOW! man that's just great! I'm going to try it RIGHT NOW and let you know how it went :) :D
CFFT

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 09:21:07 PM »

10/10!!  ;D Thanks a lot man! This walkthrough went even sweeter!! The actual delay was me arranging the objects in the scene  ::), the steps you posted were 100% accurate. I think walkthrough part II can be concluded!!

I'm glad that all the process is being documented, so we keep track of everything and that, I think, will help a lot when problems come. With this post, I think anyone who is interested in creating levels for TAKEDOWN can now start to build and test many ideas that can be interesting for this game.

My map has default UE3 Skybox so we can conclude that is supported by Editor.

For now I'll play a little bit with the editor, trying to complete a level worth seeing (and I've been planning too), using the given assets and hopefully my next post will be come with som screenshots, a downlad link; and surely a LOT of questions  ;D ;D ;D

I'm actually thinking on the next Walkthrough  ::)  ::) are you in DarkSynopsis?  8) It's obvious that your help has been extremely important for this project. I'm thinking... "Part III: Placing enemies, entities and actors" what do you think??  ;D

Thanks again man!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 09:41:28 PM by carlosflorez87 »
CFFT

DarkSynopsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Ninja's Fate
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 09:40:05 PM »
Glad it all worked out :) I really should have documented this the first time round but with a buggy editor, devs being unable to work on the game due to Publisher giving up on it and just the general lack of interest people seemed to have it didn't really cross my mind, hell I feel like we were the only ones trying to get anything working when the Editor hit.

I'm not sure what more I can contribute at this point, I didn't do much more work then this, next step I can do is getting Tango Hunt working and that is really a matter of adding the right entity and loading the map in Tango Hunt mode.

I've no clue when it comes to something like doors, creating an actual mission with objectives (imagine that is Kismet so look at HQ maybe) or even setting up the Adversarial modes but I wouldn't worry too much about them right now since with all that we have done I don't think it works in Co-op/Multi :( due to some Download Error which shouldn't even be a problem if all players have the map.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with :)

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 09:50:29 PM »
Sure you're  right about you were the only guys working on this... there's actually no info on any other site about TAKEDOWN modding!! (well, there's some activity at Serellan forums but activity motivated by TacticalApe too) I can imagine how frustrating and demotivating it was  :(

But now I'm really glad you got your interest back!  ;D ;D ;D I'm sure we can push even forward with this. I would love to read about setting up Tango Hunt Working! Then we could talk about actual gameplay test!!  :)

I'll be working on my map right now! and I really hope we get to play it Co-op/Multi, I know we will find a way around!!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 09:53:02 PM by carlosflorez87 »
CFFT

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2016, 12:46:50 AM »
So far so good!!

I'm actually working really smooth with the editor right now (It's not that I'm doing something complicated) but the more I use it, The more I get the hang of it, for example, I'm learning that some regular actions like minimizing, or something like that, can make the Editor crash real quick;  the important thing is to keep that in mind, save often, create backups, and save again before attempting any 'drastic' actions; the Editor does not take too much time in loading after a crash, so  this crashing thing doesn't bother me at all (I remember working with the first versions of CryEngine 3 SDK and it was very similar)

It's not that I've done much, but I would like to share something: It's possible to apply custom textures to a BSP (don't know if you DarkSynopsis had troubles doing this?) as can be seen in the image: I placed my level's blueprint texture over the floor BSP. I'm building on top of it to keep things simple since I have a blueprint. As a way of learning, I wanted to try the Cooking process once again and also try if my custom blueprint material would show in the game and hell yeah it's showing!!!  ;D

Learning this, now we know that we can: Block out levels with BSPs, add Editor assets,  apply custom  textures to our levels (and maybe the given static meshes, gonna try that on my next upload) and finally 'Cooking' our level to make it fully playable! in an accurate, documented and consistent way of doing so!!

I'll keep working a little bit more as I advance in my level  :)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 12:49:04 AM by carlosflorez87 »
CFFT

anything